Sometimes all there is to say is… "wow, that’s AMAZING."
But in this case, that's only one thing we wanted to say. Don't worry, we have more!
DSBN is full of students who are inventive, driven, and highly creative. And, what stands out above all, is the initiative they take to learn, and the positive attitudes they have to try their best.
Hundreds of students competed in this year's DSBN Technological Skills Challenges from 17 DSBN secondary schools in skilled trades competitions like robotics, coding, the culinary arts, graphic design, welding, precision machining, auto service technology, baking, carpentry, floristry, photography and many more. 74 students moved on to participate in provincials (Skills Ontario Virtual Competition).
We are proud to share that DSBN students won 20 medals this year – the best showing ever! Students earned 11 gold medals, two silver medals, and seven bronze medals. Five students have been named to move on to Nationals and compete for Team Ontario! Congratulations to all the winners, and congratulations to every student who put their best foot forward and participated in this year’s set of Technological Skills Challenges and provincials. We are pleased to congratulate all the medalists!
And a much-deserved, special thank you goes out to our dedicated technology teachers, who work hard year after year to support students throughout these challenges, and towards their career dreams.
🥇 GOLD 🥇
- 2D Animation: Tyler Lounsbury. AN Myer *Team Ontario
- Automotive Service: Eric Hribljan. Beamsville *Team Ontario
- Carpentry(Individual): Mile Juras. Beamsville
- Carpentry (Team): Rowan van Dongen and Jesus Ostos Suarez. Laura Secord
- Floristry: Sarah West. Stamford
- Geographic Information System: Ally Vello and Eva Wachel. Port Colborne
- Graphics Design (Presentation): Aminah Khalid. Thorold
- Hairstyling: Abby Bruneel. Sir Winston Churchill *Team Ontario
- Mechanical CAD: Tommy Friesen. Sir Winston Churchill *Team Ontario
- VEX Robotics: Tommy Friesen, Dheiksha Jayasankar, Miqdad Valji, Jeff Lennox. Sir Winston Churchill
- Fashion Design: Branka Peles. Westlane *Team Ontario
🥈 Silver 🥈
- Architectural CAD: Carter Wideman. Eden
- Floristry: Noah Tavares. Westlane
🥉 Bronze 🥉
- Baking: Emili Dabovic. Welland Centennial
- Carpentry (Team): Tanner Weiss and Zach Woodland. AN Myer
- Floristry: Abby Misita. Stamford
- Mechanical CAD: Jason Bueckert. Eden High
- Precision Machining: Ana Jaramillo Rodriguez. Thorold
- Vex Robotics: William Younes, Davin Warner, Eliana Gusek, Hannah Cox. AN Myer
- Small Powered Equipment: Alex Kosuta. EL Crossley
DSBN was also awarded the School Board Award of Distinction for the second year in a row. Skills Ontario presents the award to the school board with the highest score, and indicates a continued commitment to supported students interested in pursuing careers in the skilled trades and technologies.