Mental Health & Well-Being

two teens smiling

Frequently Asked Questions

My child in in need of mental health support right now. Who should I call?

Click here for a directory of numbers for urgent mental health support

How do I get in touch with the DSBN social worker that is responsible for my child’s school?

Speak with your school’s principal or vice principal about your concerns and ask them to connect you with the school’s social worker or the appropriate community mental health partner.

I do not have a family doctor for my child. What should I do?

Visit this website for assistance in finding a local family doctor or nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients:

If I don’t have a family doctor, how can I get a referral to connect my child with mental health support in Niagara?

Contact Niagara is a referral agency that can connect your family with mental health services in the community. They will conduct an intake interview over the phone to review your concerns and get a better sense of your child’s history. Contact Niagara can be reached by phone at 905-684-3407 or toll-free at 1-800-933-3617. Their website is

In addition to seeking outside support, are there things we can do at home to help our child if we are concerned for their mental health?

It’s important that your child understands that you still love them, even though you may be concerned with some of their behavior. Always approach them in a calm and caring way, maintain regular and open communication and create a home environment that is warm and loving with ample opportunity for your child to experience being valued for who they are.